Thursday, March 1, 2012

Use Screencasts To Provide Feedback To Students On Their Digital Assignments

The following video shows a great way to use screencasts to provide feedback to students on their digital assignments.  This comes from Amy Mayer's Fried Technology blog.  I absolutely love this concept and think that pairing a verbal response to student work with all the great written collaboration that can take place today (i.e. Google Docs comments) is just outstanding.  While this video specifically demonstrates the use of the free Jing screencasting application and Google Docs, I think it can easily be expanded to other screencast tools and used to provide feedback on almost any type of digital work.  Well, maybe not multimedia projects that have sound, but just about everything else.  For example, you could create a screencast with your feedback as you navigate through a student's slideshow, digital presentation, Themeefy or Storify project, and much more.  I especially like this idea in language classes as it allows for teachers to provide verbal feedback in the language being studied.  Although this process does require a little investment of time to setup the first time you run through it, I think the overall benefit would be well worth it.




6 comments:

  1. I love it! I'm setting it up tomorrow! Thanks for sharing this, Bryan.
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be very interested in how this works out for you after you've tried it with your students. Keep me posted.

      Delete
  2. This looks great! I may try it with a major lab report in AP Chem. I am wondering how I can get graphs which were made with Logger Pro to show up? The rest of the report can be done with google docs.It is something to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the post, Bryan! I've been using this with my students, and they really like it. A problem I've always had with grading is that it is often ignored. "Oh, I got an 85," and that's it, no looking at the comments or thinking about why the grade is what it is. I see high compliance with this method, and surely that will lead to better learning.

    Look forward to seeing how you all use it, and I hope you'll follow my blog for more such suggestions at http://www.friedtechnology.com

    D. Zygas: Whatever you see on your screen will show up using most any screencasting tool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One more thing, if you do choose to use a Screencasting tool other than Jing or Camtasia, beware FERPA violations. There is no way to password protect a Screenr, for example. See more here: http://www.friedtechnology.com/2012/02/friedenglish-video-grading-using-google.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. This could be used for so many things! It is more personal and reflective than a simple grade or basic rubric. I do see where the initial set up for each student would be time consuming, but well worth the effort!

    ReplyDelete